Red chembaruthy



At the Nambisan's flower / betel leaf counter in front of hanuman kovil(in Ernakulathappan temple complex), if you are lucky, you will find red hibiscus …
He does not sell it. He gives it away. It is for anyone to take. Mohan chettan, the lottery seller brings it from his home.🙏🏻
The chembarathy is RED as in deep blood red. The petals are stacked one on top of other in tight whorls only as god, the creator can make it. 
I try to get these flowers for my pooja every Tuesday and/or Friday as it is said to be loved by Bhagavathy ..

Today, being Friday, I got a few. While standing under the shade of the huge banyan tree, waiting for my ‘devoted’ husband (pun intended!) to finish his prayers, Shyamanna (the neivedyam cook of hanuman temple) joined Nambeesan and I.

Nambeeshan reminded me about the medicinal properties of the hibiscus flower infused coconut oil on hair.
Shyamanna got modern. 
“You can make an amazing squash out of these flowers .. Just boil in water with some sugar. Strain the deep red fluid and add lemon juice. Cooling and refreshing."

Not to be outdone, Nambeeshan talked about making sambar with these shoe flowers! Some udupi recipe, which I have to lay my hands on.

I think these flowers will now go into my kitchen today and will not adorn the goddess in the pooja room!🤣🤣
Sorry, Bhagavathy!😅😜

Comments

Popular Posts