Visiting Durbar Hall art Gallery



I had no inkling about the art exhibition at Durbar Hall Art Gallery until my school art teacher Smt.Latha Devi posted her painting displayed there our school Facebook group. 

I had to visit as I am a tanjore painter and the gallery is so close to home.
“Max one hour.” I said while leaving home.
How wrong I was!

After parking the car, I walked into the gallery to see workers tying up the paintings. What?
The office staff sent me upstairs to the right exhibition!

While walking to the staircase, I saw Sri. Bose Krishnamachary and others seated in a circle having a discussion.

The huge wooden staircase & the gigantic door set the ambience for the treasure on display in the gallery.

I had to catch my breath before entering the hall. Well lit and interspersed with vibrant colours on all the walls…
So many paintings!

I did not make a beeline to my teacher’s painting. I started from the left of the door.

First on display was a painting of a spiky deep green jackfruit on a tree with blue leaves by Sri.Renjeethlal.


Next was “the quest for the blue flower” in 6 frames by Ms.Babitha Rajiv.

Monalisa in drained colour taking a selfie called “Break the chain” by Sri.Nandan.P.V.

“Friendship” must really look like this - vibrant and all smiles. (Sri.Thomas Kurisingal)


While most paintings were muted, there were some which really caught the eye.
The untitled work by Ms.Sindhu Divakaran was one such. The charka, the spools of thread in our National flag colours - orange & green… all intertwined set against a grey backdrop…


The centrepiece was a set of 50 + paintings by Sri.Sathyapal - Wheeling on borderline. So eye catching.


Next was my teachers work (acrylic on canvas) - Genetic ladder.
The base coat to the small spindles of web to the overall strands of looping RNA DNA structure. Intricate and stunning.


Mrs.Sheila Kochouseph had drawn some large watercolour flowers.
On this wall Sri.Razi Rozario’s return to home -  a small boat caught in a turbulent sea with broad knife strokes in deepening colours  - needs a special mention.

There were some sculptures and a moving piece and something art piece set on the ground.
I did not understand these.

As you can see, I spend a good amount of time in this hall.
And when I walked out, there was another hall filled with paintings by Smt. T. K. Padmini.


I have not heard of her before, but her work... 
Almost all her work was dark. Men & women resembling the people of Kerala. Doing things Keralites of yore did. Stories of ‘our’ ghosts. Many faces. 



She made my heart heavy. Was it because of her paintings or because she died so young? (At age 29, following pregnancy complications.)
What a loss.
There were her letters and photos and invites from her personal collection on display.

I returned to see the other paintings after the heavy dose by Smt.Padmini.
The green jackfruit with blue leaves really made me happy.
While coming back I again saw Sri.Bose in earnest discussion with others. I would have loved a selfie… but…


Please do visit.
Organisers: White Rose Foundation
Date:  Nov 1-10 , 2022 
Venue: Durbar Hall Art Gallery

Comments

Popular Posts