Leo movie review


I finished watching the super hit Tamil movie Leo on Netflix (thank God!) over the course of 16 hours.

I cannot thank the pause button, speed by 10 seconds button and my ordinary life for helping me wade through the looooooong movie.

I have friends who watched this movie thrice and another twice.
I salute them.
One of them got all excited when I said I had been watching it for the past half hour and asked me my initial response…

“Other than the mumbling of Vijay with no emotion in his eyes, establishing of a great family dynamic with Vijay (mock) fearing his wife… the usual villain who is a little ‘off’… the past 33 minutes with 10 pauses in between has been good.”

One good thing is ‘middle aged men’ are acceptable if not ‘hot’ heroes!
Actor Vijay is 49.

After this initial character ‘establishment’ started the movie. He is a sharp shooter and can mow down villains coming in streams easily without even a bruise on his body!!

There is blood, gore, hammer, knife & a superbly poor storyline. The fight master has really worked hard and thankfully the director is not a ‘slo-mo’ addict like the Jawan one was!! (I watched the second half of Jawan at 2x speed!)

Drug cartel lords Harold Das & Antony Das wear huge crosses around their neck, but believe in animal sacrifice. This is followed by human sacrifice. And horoscope for ‘ideal’ candidate to be sacrificed is found by the Padre or the church priest dressed in his uniform!! WTH? So many things don’t make sense!! Also these people get cremated!! Not buried?

Coming back to horoscope…
Whose kundali do you think is most ideal for sacrifice?
Any guesses? I am sure you do. It is so (un)genius!!

Ok…hold your breath… long breath…
Horoscope of Leo (Vijay) & ….
I told you looong breath …
His twin!! A female twin -played by Madonna Sebastian! 😂🤣🤣

After a song, dance and a raging fight, she gets killed and requests Vijay to leave this life behind.

Trisha looks beautiful but why has she darkened her entire eyebrows so much? Does she not know that the initial eyebrows near the nose is lighter in colour??

Leaving aside that, I sensed a great character prospect. She goes away to do detective work and find if Vijay is Leo or not.  But her character was relegated, as expected of any wife character of a huge hero movie would be in Indian cinema, to be a good wife by believing her husband and swallowing all his part rant, part aggressive monologue with a big kiss on her lips. 

Kollallo Vijay & Trisha. Imagine them doing this at the start of their career in early 2000’s! Tamil cinema has changed! 

And when bombs go off around her house, guns fire, men scream when their foot gets amputated by bear snares, she simply runs into the next room clutching her kid and bolts the door with a simple latch. She was not even aware of the docile Hyena (with the cute name Subramani’) residing with her.

Sad. But expected as women centric cinema in India happens only once in a blue moon.

I loved the car chase sequence. The camera man has dangled, sped, gone under cars…amazing! They have used amazing gadgets. BTW, they removed the car doors like John Wicks’, to give a full view of the character.

And I remembered the lady chef who needed her condiment bottle to be opened approach her father in the galley, when I saw Vijay help his daughter in the school fun run competition.

Inspiration comes from everywhere!! Real, reel… 

Yes. Vijay is Leo. He wants to forget his past and ‘move on’. And says he himself has to be convinced that he is Parthiban and not Leo to convince others. And he would agree that he is Leo only if the other person dies in few seconds after getting this ‘knowledge’.

“If I tell you, I must kill you.” Heard this somewhere?? 

Every frame of the movie is Vijay. 
His hair or rather wig is much bigger than his head. And makes proportions strange… like heavy head on a thin body. No six packs here. No rippling muscles under shirt too. Sad.

Anyway, my review is useless.
The movie is a super hit.
Vijay was paid ₹200 crores for it.

But, I am a free citizen of free India and this movie was released to the public. And I have opinions!

So….
Leo - blah 🤮 

Comments

Popular Posts