Turning on the bhadrakali in me




I can be violent.

Very violent.
As in pull him to the ground, punch him until he bleeds; violent.

2009 was turning into 2010.
Fireworks were going to make the night sky bright. My two girls (then 12 & 7) were on my either side staring at up intently. Harish had to empty his bladder before the new year began.

We were in Pondicherry; after a long Tamil Nadu road trip.

The count down began and as the clock struck 12, a man decided he would welcome his new year by kissing me.

For a second I was in shock. 
Harish is so romantic?!

The moustache grizzled against my cheeks. Harish has no facial hair!

By the time, my brain understood what happened, this guy wished me a very happy new year, thanked me and started moving away.

My daughters and I were dumbstruck.

But the ‘Bhadra kali’ in me knew what to do. I shook my hold on both the girls and ran behind him. He started running. But I set the record for 100mt dash (in heels👠) that night.

I caught hold of his collar from behind and pulled him down. His 6 foot, 100 kg frame came crashing down.

The rest is a blur, but I remember slapping him first with my hand, then my slippers and landing my knees on his gut. There was some scratching involved too.

He started screaming, “I thought of you as my தங்கச்சி (younger sister).”

That made me mouth obscenities.

I was pulled away from him by the hotel staff. And only when I saw them giving him ‘proper’ treatment did I move towards my scared girls.

Anaka was hugging Ananya. Their eyes were like saucers.

Harish came out of the hotel drying his hands on his handkerchief. He looked worried. I did not utter a word, just pointed in the direction where the harasser had been taken.

I do not remember much after this. 
Harish said let us go for a drive. And he updated that the person would not be handed over to the police, but had been ‘handled’ (pun intended) by almost all the hotel staff.

When we got into the car, my adrenaline was still pumping… and Harish said, “Wow!” with pride and love in his eyes.

I was super pleased. 😃

The girls started talking animatedly in the back seat - with excitement. And no fear.

I am glad I set an example for both my daughters that they must not take any harassment meekly. 

React. React strongly.

While on the drive, I could still feel his moustache prickling my cheeks. So, I asked Harish and the girls to kiss me so that I could remove that ‘feeling’. They said, ”Yuck, his saliva will be there.” They really did not help. 🤣

The next morning, I got up with a great pain in my left shoulder. I felt as if my ball joint was out of the socket.
The pain remained for about a week.

The next New Year’s we celebrated in Singapore.

My friend told me, “Looks like this guy’s kiss 😘 was not a bad way to welcome the new year. ഐശ്വര്യം ഉണ്ട്. You are going to Singapore!! May be you must find him again to get a kiss!” 🤪



Comments

Nimmi padmanabhan said…
Don't know what made u write this after 14 long yrs. But this proves u r a strong lady, woman. U did what has to be done at the right moment. Not everyone can act like this. Not even me. I wud have been dumpstruck. I really loved the Kali matha painting in the end. Beautifully done. U too look v pretty Anu. U r multi talented👍👍
Sujith P said…
You rock chechi 👏😃

Popular Posts